Welcome to the home page of Geometry-Topology (Math
Current Office Hours:
- Monday 3-4 in Math 716
- Tuesday 11-12 in Math 716
- Wednesday 3-4 in Math 716
- Massey, "A Basic Course in Algebraic Topology", Springer 1991.
- Singer and Thorpe, "Lecture Notes on Elementary Topology and
Geometry", Springer 1967. (Recommended)
- The main part of the course will be foundational material on the
fundamental group, covering spaces, and singular homology theory.
(Roughly Chapters 1-12 of Massey.)
- The first two weeks of the course will be a quick review/outline
of the basics of point set topology. (Roughly the first 2 chapters of
Singer and Thorpe.)
- Regular Attendance!
- Weekly homework assignments
- One mid-term exam (in class). Date to be announced.
- A final exam on Thursday, December 16, 8-10am, in Math 501.
Grades will be determined on a point system with the following weights:
The grading scale is:
- Homework: 40%
- Midterm: 20%
- Final Exam: 40%
- A: 90-100%
- B: 80-89%
- C: 70-79%
- D: 60-69%
- E: 0-59%
Missed exams, etc.:
The grade for an exam missed for good cause, and with advance notice,
will be replaced with the grade on the corresponding part of the final
exam. An exam missed without advance notice and good cause will
receive a score of 0.
If you withdraw between the 4th and 8th week of class, you will receive
a grade of "W". Withdrawing after the 8th week of class is possible
only under the most exceptional circumstances.
Students who are excessively absent (i.e., absent for 2 consecutive
classes, or for 4 classes throughout the term) will be administratively
Jai-Ling Dai is a senior graduate student who will be a TA for this
course. She plans to run a weekly discussion session to go over
homework problems and answer questions.
August 23, 1999