The University of Arizona

Individual Studies and 500-level courses

Independent Study or Directed Research

Students enrolling in Individual Studies courses (DATA/MATH 199, 199H, 299, 299H, 392, 399, 399H, 492, 498, 498H, 499, or 499H) must complete and submit a proposal form describing the project they will be earning credit for.  The work must be mathematical or statistical in nature to receive MATH or DATA credit (for non-mathematical/statistical work, credit may be earned under the LASC prefix).  The form is to be signed by the student, their project advisor, and their major (faculty) advisor. 

Forms are available at the Math Academic Office window, room 108 of the Math building. Return completed forms to room 108 for processing.

Enrollment in Internship courses (DATA/MATH 293, 393, 493) requires a specialized Internship Work Plan form. Click here for internship policies and guidelines, and to download the form.

500-Level Courses

Students may request to register for 500-level courses if 

To request enrollment, first fill out the Student Information portion of the Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses form in ink. The form can be obtained at the Math Academic Office window in Mathematics Room 108, or downloaded and printed here. You can choose to earn Honors credit (if in the Honors College), undergraduate credit, or graduate credit. Note that graduate credit is unlikely to be useful for undergraduate students and will not count as units toward graduation. Speak with your Math Faculty Advisor or Academic Advisor if you are not sure what type of credit to request. 

Write in the course(s) to be taken and drop off the form at room 108 or during Math Center walk-in hours. The Math Center will consult with your faculty advisor and instructors and contact you via email when we have an answer to your request. If approval is granted, we will help you obtain the necessary signatures. After the form is complete, we will return it to you to deliver to Room 210 of the Administration Building for processing. 

Students should expect the process to take up to two weeks, possibly longer at busy times, so please plan ahead.